Your Dog Swallowed Something Bad? Here’s What Our Veterinarians Say

We’ve all been there, you turn your back for one second and your dog somehow manages to scoop up a chicken wing. Who can blame them really? Seeing the dog duck under a table, out of reach, prize in mouth – you panic. Sooner than you can say, “Fido – no!”, the chicken wing is gone in the blink of an eye.

You’ve probably heard that chicken bones can be very dangerous for dogs to swallow and digest. You’ve probably heard the same thing about chocolate, grapes, caffeine, garlic, and the random sock.

As veterinarians, we’ve seen just about everything come through our office when it comes to curious dogs swallowing things they shouldn’t. 

So what should you do?

Well, that depends. How big is your dog and how big was the item? How long ago did your animal swallow the item, and does your animal have a medical history that could be made worse by swallowing something they shouldn’t have? These are all questions you should ask your veterinarian if your dog swallows something potentially hazardous.

One thing is for sure – and all veterinarians will agree – do NOT try to induce vomiting. This can just make the situation worse. If the object is still in their mouth, only try to remove it if it is safe. You should immediately take your dog to the veterinarian if they appear to be in distress or are choking.

Bottom line? Call your veterinarian.

You may not be able to stop your dog from getting every tasty treat they’re interested in, but you can be sure that your veterinarian will be the best source for expert advice if it happens. At Cumberland Animal Hosptial, our veterinarians offer urgent care services, preventative care, pet boarding, and more. Our veterinarians treat all animals as if they were our own. Call today to learn why pets love our vets! 910-822-3337